Friday, April 16, 2021

TPLO Day 8


Jedi got to go on a field trip today! Today was a Novice/Open day of AKC in Watertown and I had a lot of students making their trial debut. I also had agreed to run one of my student's dogs for her, as she had two dogs in Novice and it would be a lot to handle. This plan was in place before I knew that Jedi would be having surgery. Knowing that there were plenty of concerns surrounding leaving him home and having my mom come deal with his routine, I figured the best plan would be to take Jedi along. He'd be in a crate anyhow, and I would have time to do his PT between classes.


Jedi LOVED having a change of scenery today. He was a very good boy. I had Ren along as well and both boys stayed in the van until after the Novice JWW class was done, probably close to 10:00? I got Jedi out of the van for his first 5 minute walk, which was mostly spent wandering around the pasture eating grass and some cow (?) poop. I brought my big mat along, so we parked there in the shade under a tree for an icing session, massage, and laser. He went back into his crate while I took Ren for a walk and went back into the trial, and then I came out and we did it again around 1:00. He got his Trazodone at 2:00, and we left for home around 3:00. He definitely seems a bit tired out tonight, it was a big day for someone eight days post major surgery I'm sure. I'm glad he enjoyed it and did well, though, because we will be going back on Sunday for when Ren gets to run.

We continue to have improvement in the hip stretch! Jedi is also offering full stretches on his own even more. He seems to do the best following a session with heat vs ice, which makes sense, although he still seems to enjoy the icing more than the heat. This also makes sense given that he seems to live in front of the fan 95% of the time now. That's where he is now, and in the van he was curled up right in front of it every time I checked on him. I wonder if all these meds he's on makes him run hot?

Oh! I almost forgot the biggest news of the day! One one of our walks at the trial Jedi stood all of his weight on the right/bad leg to lift his left leg to pee! My jaw dropped and I couldn't react fast enough to document it.  lol  That's amazing progress!

Here's our video from today, while walking around the pasture at the trial. You can see his big smile at the end, showing how happy he was to be somewhere different.  (Link for mobile: https://youtu.be/YlqxW_ZBpVM )



No comments:

Post a Comment