Saturday, April 24, 2021

TPLO Day 16


I know I said yesterday that I should start to spread my posts out, but I'm bad at taking days off. That said, that's pretty much what we did today. It was raining when we got up this morning and continued to rain for much of the morning. Jedi still got his pre-breakfast walk in, but I didn't take everyone else out in the rain for their usual walk. This meant Jedi didn't get left in the house, so he was pretty okay with this. We all got in lots of naps today.


The only PT exercises that I did with Jedi today were some series of sit/stand during a midday walk. His sit is looking very nice and balanced. Since it had stopped raining I figured I owed the other dogs their walk, too. I set Jedi up in his outdoor xpen and gave him a lickimat to keep him busy for a while. He seemed happy with this arrangement and the only outburst we had was when I exchanged the big dogs for little. For some reason this has always caused him to go for one of the balls, bark, and run the fence line. Not having access to his balls or running, Jedi instead tried to grab at the lickimat out of frustration. I told him to knock it off and he settled for the rest of their walk.

After an afternoon nap I stuck Jedi out in the pen again where he hung out while I weed whacked for a bit. I have more yard work to do tomorrow so he'll probably get to spend a bit of time out there again. It should be a little warmer finally, so I might have to rig up a shade cloth for him.


The knee looks great. I try not to get dismayed by how much Jedi is still off-loading his weight onto the left leg, especially while in his pen. I know that's normal. I think it just bothers me so much because I'm worried it's going to make the other leg go bad. Tomorrow we'll return to some weight shifting exercises. He did stand his full weight on the right leg to pee again, so there is that!

During one of our normal indoor PT sessions I spent the time giving Jedi one of his full body massages along with the light pad -- basically our normal routine pre-TPLO. I know that this has been hard on the rest of his body as it compensates for the bad leg, so I'm going to try to focus more on this now. It took the place of one of his icing sessions, but I believe that inflammation has gone down enough that icing is not the priority that it once was.

Here's today's video, we're back to the regular walking video for this one. Looking good!  (Link for mobile: https://youtu.be/y0Tj24EudnA )



No comments:

Post a Comment