Saturday, April 10, 2021

TPLO Day 2

For the record, this particular blow-up collar lasted pretty much long enough to take a picture. As soon as I left him in it, Jedi proceeded to investigate his neuter, and quite easily I might add. I'd been warned that a "correctly-sized" blow up collar would not do the job. Oh well. Back in the box it went and my parents were able to take it back to Pet Supplies Plus for me this afternoon. I had them swing by Petco to buy a larger model, but I haven't had the chance to take it out of the box to try it yet. We'll see. He's really doing well in the plastic cone, but he does scrape and clang it against the xpen some while he's trying to get comfortable.

To backtrack quickly, Jedi seems to be healing quite well from his neuter. When Kaiser was done at age 3 1/2 there was a lot of swelling and discomfort. I remember holding him belly-up on the couch with a bag of peas on his boy bits. So far I'm not seeing any swelling there for Jedi. The fact that he gets a bag of peas between his legs to ice the bottom of his knee probably isn't hurting that situation any. And of course, the limited mobility, which is why I opted to do it now.

Jedi is doing well and resting comfortably. He seems to really enjoy our icing sessions, which average about every four hours and include massage, PROM, and about 10 minutes with the cold laser. I feel like there was a bit more swelling noticed today, and some of it is starting to pool around his hock joint (something I learned was common in one of the videos I found on YouTube). With the additional swelling, it's not surprising that he's been a little more resistant to fully extend his leg today.

The suture line is looking great. Let's hope it stays that way. I try to avoid touching it when we're doing our PROM exercises, but Jedi hasn't seemed sensitive to it.



We've had poop! Twice! We went out just after 3:00 a.m. and had success on that trip. I did go ahead and open a can of pumpkin with breakfast because I figure it can't hurt. We had another successful trip around 3:00 p.m., so things seem to be moving along just fine.


The chiropractor was here for his regular visit today, but we elected to give Jedi a bit more time to get stable on his feet before his next adjustment. I'll be making the trip to Gallatin in a couple of weeks instead. Hopefully we are closer to weight-bearing by then.

Sleeping on the air mattress in the living room isn't the most fun experience, but I still think it's the best for Jedi right now. Kizzy seemed to like it well enough!

Here's our video from day 2. The video yesterday and today were both taken following his afternoon dose of meds, so I do think that likely contributes to the additional use of the leg. When we went out around noon I'm not sure if he put it down at all. (Link for mobile users: https://youtu.be/ADGt8Oxkfqo )



No comments:

Post a Comment