Tuesday, April 13, 2021

TPLO Day 5


What a difference a day makes. Yay for drugs. We got the Gabapentin prescription filled last night and Jedi got a dose on board around 8:00 p.m. I still had him sleep in the cone last night, but the Gabapentin pretty much knocked him out cold and he got some much needed rest. He has stopped going after his leg now, so today he was able to move back into the blow up collar. I don't think I've seen him try to reach around it once today. He's been so much more settled.


Someone from the vet clinic called to check in on us this morning. I'm guessing there was some note about me being frantic and calling three times yesterday. Marla assured me that they would give me any refills that I needed going forward. This made me feel better, because I'm pretty terrified of what life will be like when everything runs out after two weeks. The Gabapentin prescription was changed from every 8 hours to every 12 hours, but it seems to be effective enough at this interval. Marla kept trying to say that we could experiment with a lower dose, but I'm pretty okay with knocking Jedi out for a good month.


We're getting four PT sessions in per day right now. I've eliminated the one right before bed because I've just been so tired. Tonight will be no different given that I had a bit of a reaction to the Covid vaccination overnight. At least while I was awake in the middle of the night I got to appreciate that Jedi was totally relaxed and sleeping belly up in his pen.


Jedi still continues to guard his leg from doing hip flexion exercises, but he will willingly stretch it out fully on his own randomly. He's always been a bit resistant and tight about that right hind. I'm spending more time just focusing on massaging there, which encourages him to stretch it out on his own. PROM exercises with the hip just aren't going to happen right now.

Here's our video from today. Jedi is still largely holding his leg up in his pen, but he's doing well using it outside. (Link for mobile users: https://youtu.be/R0jZePuG6XM )



No comments:

Post a Comment