Saturday, April 23, 2016

Day 14 - Here comes the lawn mower

We didn't go on any fun field trips today, but I figured that Jedi's first exposure to the lawn mower would count as his new experience of the day. I finally got the vacuum cleaner out for the first time just a couple of days ago and he wasn't a huge fan (just removed himself from the area, nothing big), so I didn't expect him to feel too fondly about the mower.

He was definitely a bit freaked out when it first fired up. He pretty much stuck to the front of the yard by the house and every time I came around he would dash into the corner of the fence. Each time I passed him I left the mower and gave him a treat -- which he took, so obviously things weren't too bad. Things continued to get better as I went around, perhaps because I stopped coming so close to him. The other dogs are also good role models, too, because they don't care at all about the mower. I'm sure in time Jedi will be the same. For now, though, I let him hang out in his safe place, which generally tends to be under the agility table. I wonder how much longer he'll fit under there? It's set at 12" and it's already getting to be a squeeze for him!

In other news, I decided to rearrange the puppy pen today. I've been hauling the puppy crate back and forth from the bedroom to put into the pen each day, but since he's quickly growing out of that crate I figured I would attach the pen to the big 36" crate that I have in the living room. My hope is that having the puppy pen attached to the crate will give him time to explore it before I actually have to leave him there for any amount of time. So far he is pretty much just hanging out in the tarped area outside of the crate, though.



No comments:

Post a Comment