Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Day 10 - Gaylord Park (Rockland)

Today was our first rainy day since Jedi came home. It quickly became obvious that raising a puppy is much easier with nice weather! Thankfully the rain was very light and spotty, so we still had plenty of opportunities to get outside throughout the day -- Jedi just ended up a little muddy from the wet grass and his new love of playing in the dirt under the deck.

I had a doctor appointment this morning and I opted to take Jedi along with me and let him sit in the van (in the smaller puppy crate). It worked out really well -- my lab work went super fast, so I had time to run back out to the van to let Jedi out to play before going in for my appointment. My main appointment only took a half hour, so then it was back out to play with the puppy before going home to work the rest of the day.

It was still raining lightly when work was done for the day, but puppies need to be puppies so today I packed up Jedi and Secret and took them to Gaylord Park in Rockland. This is a smaller park, but offers a good space to play in a new environment.

Secret has always struggled with playing away from home, which is a big reason why I'm spending so much time on this with Jedi from day one. I want him to know that toys are for everywhere, not just our backyard. That said, Secret was a super role model today! I took the dogs and frisbees out onto the empty baseball field and we had fun catching discs and chasing rollers. Secret seemed to enjoy getting to open up and go for the long tosses. At the end I had two border collies with their tongues hanging out, so I call that a success.

I put the frisbees back in the car and we spent some time wandering the perimeter of the park for a bit. There were a group of kids having soccer practice in the big open field, so we stuck to the edges. Jedi didn't seem to notice the kids at all. On the way back to the van we went through the gravel parking lot and climbed over a pile of rocks. Another good day!



No comments:

Post a Comment