Thursday, May 20, 2021

TPLO Day 42

 

It has been six weeks since Jedi's TPLO surgery and we are trucking right along in our rehab program. Someone at work today made the comment that it seems like time has flown and that she didn't think it had been that long. I feel much the opposite and this has become such a way of life for us that I feel like we've been doing it forever.

The above photo was taken sitting inside Jedi's pen with him today. 😄 We took care of some grooming needs today and it was the easiest way to tackle it. I trimmed nails after our hill walk this morning, and then this afternoon I tried to tackle Jedi's foot floof with the scissors and then brushed him on our next trip out. I'm going to need to get some trimming sheers to tackle those feet, assuming Jedi still won't let me near him with the clippers. He wasn't a fan of the scissors at first, either, but he did finally give in. Too bad they stink at cutting hair.

Jedi got to spend some extra time outside today, as I decided to sit out on the deck for a couple of work meetings this morning. I put him into his pen around 9:45 and then took him for his hill walk at 10:30, after my meeting let out. We only did one lap around the hill today because Jedi was just dragging. I guess his meds had kicked in and he hadn't gotten his usual morning nap. I put him back in the outside pen until around 11:30 or so when my next meeting let out.

Jedi hung out for a bit while I worked Ren briefly after lunch, and then we went for our creek walk. With the water being down as much as it is, I've been experimenting with whether there might be an easier way to get out. The way I've been going is great for going down, but Jedi has not been patient and it has resulted in more scrambling than I prefer when going back up. Yesterday I tried walking all the way down to the corner and we still encountered about a 10' section where Jedi had to swim to get across. Today we tried the halfway point where I was able to lift him onto the rock and have him wait while I got out. It wasn't terrible, he probably used his leg less than he does on the other spot. Patience and going slow is not a strength of ours....

Because my classes got combined tonight and didn't start until later, I decided to put together Jedi's 6 week video beforehand. We did the wobble board with the biggest ball under it, we played with the FitPaws stuff, and we did some serpentines around cones. I think his gait looks a bit off in the video for two reasons -- the hair adds some weird optical illusion, and he was more worried about looking up at me than striding forward. The regular walking is from just after that. I think we did a bit much today, though, because he was a little wobbly when he poo'd after dinner. Because of that, I didn't take him for a post-dinner walk tonight. I figured we'd done enough for the day.

One more week until xrays and our next followup visit!

Here's video from today. (Link for mobile: https://youtu.be/b34gyQgrS8Y )



No comments:

Post a Comment