Saturday, May 1, 2021

TPLO Day 23


We are into the fourth week now! Yesterday I was feeling a little defeated and actually quite concerned. It seemed like Jedi was getting progressively worse about favoring his bad leg. He wasn't just weight shifting when we stopped, but was fully picking up and holding his leg like during the first few days. His walk also seemed like it was avoiding putting weight on that leg as much as he could, so I really felt like we were backsliding.

So yesterday we took several steps back. Jedi had limited walking time throughout the day. I put him back in the house during morning walks, figuring that the chilly morning air, wet grass, and bouncing around when the little dogs went for their walk weren't good things. We returned to icing and ditched heat altogether. Jedi had icing sessions 3 times, I think two of them included the laser, and then our last session of the day was the full body massage with light pad.


I am happy to report that he seemed so much better today. We must have just really overdone things and made him sore. I have it in my head that healing should be a linear process and just keep improving day by day, but that is clearly not how it works. Truthfully, it's not been that long since I went through recovery from my appendectomy and FOR REAL, I know what it's like to feel like hell after doing too much. I let Jedi return to walking today, but we are back to going sloooooooow and not staying out quite as long. During his very last walk of the day I could tell that his leg was starting to get tired by the way he was swinging it out a bit.

Jedi's big excitement of the day was his first trip to the creek since his surgery. It was quite the production to get him down there. I carried the ramp from the front of the house and tried to make an easier entrance into the water. Even with that in place, though, I had to have my mom help me move Jedi through a few positions to get him down there, mostly just holding him in place while I moved to the next spot. I brought out his sling to give me more control over him as we navigated things.

I had briefly scoped things out with Ren before I brought Jedi down, but I must have walked a slightly different path and it quickly got very deep. My creek has never been this deep in that spot. Usually the only swimming area is in the corner. Chest height and whatnot is actually good at this stage, but there was definitely one point where Jedi's feet weren't touching anymore and he tried to swim. We need to wait until the bone is healed before we start that kind of kicking action, so I brought an end to that and we made our way out. I think the other end of the creek would be better and not get so deep, but I haven't figured out how to get Jedi down there because the bank is so steep. I'll have to take the weed whacker down there and try to find the best path where I might be able to put the ramp. There's also a boat launch that a friend told me about that I'm going to check out to see if that water depth would work for us.

Here's video from our creek adventure today. (Link for mobile: https://youtu.be/iYl-_yhqFYo )



No comments:

Post a Comment