Thursday, July 1, 2021

TPLO Day 84 (12 weeks)


If Jedi looks happy in the above picture, it's likely because he's loving the continued increase in activity and privileges that come with being 12 weeks post op! Our xrays tomorrow will hopefully confirm bone healing, at which point we can start to do even more. I'm thinking we'll stay on leash for certain things, like going out doors and through gates, for some time, though. Mostly out of laziness, I have graduated Jedi to a flexi lead for some of our walks. I can't say he's really taken advantage of it, though, because he's still generally just moving at a walk or trot. He has loped short distances while off leash in the front or back yards, but I haven't allowed him to be in a situation where he would have the opportunity to run. He's been very well-behaved with his supervised off leash time.

It's possible that our daily exercises are finally starting to have an impact on the wobbly leg. On our walks today I really tried to get video of his leg at its worst, but it really wasn't that terrible today. I will take my phone with me tomorrow morning (provided it's not raining) so that I can catch it if he goes wobbly again, but right now I don't have a whole lot to show Dr. Wearing as a current example.


Here's a current side profile shot to show the progress we're making in blending in Jedi's hair! Much to his dismay, I continue to brush and comb him regularly because I feel like it helps to promote growth and tame down the wild stuff around the new growth. There is actual definition in his leg again, no more chicken leg for Jedi!

I have by and large been focusing almost exclusively on hind end strengthening exercises for our morning PT. Jedi is starting to rock the sit to stand with the front feet raised. We usually do it with the front feet on something stable like the giant disc or the donut. I did pivots again the other day and he really struggles with that. But really, so did Ren, so that's something we should work on.


I still plan to talk to Dr. Wearing about our PT options tomorrow to see if he has any opinions or suggestions, but I've asked around and have not received much response to whether or not we have any PT professionals who specialize in return to sport rehab. There are some online options that I can pursue, but then I would miss out on someone actually putting their hands on him.

Tomorrow afternoon we will hit the road for Indianapolis, where Ren will get to run in a USDAA trial this weekend. Jedi is along for the ride and I still have no idea what we're going to do about the sleeping arrangements. Do I have him sleep in the fleece harness and tie his leash to me to keep him on the bed? Do I pack an xpen and a dog bed and keep him on the floor? Hotel beds are just always so darn high...

Hopefully I'm able to jot off a quick blog post about our vet visit before we leave, as I am not planning on packing my laptop. Here is our video from today. (Link for mobile: https://youtu.be/WnLXqq16Njw )



No comments:

Post a Comment