Thursday, June 24, 2021

TPLO Day 77 (11 weeks)

Today we are at 11 weeks post op from Jedi's TPLO procedure. The once per week update seems reasonable these days given the overall repetitiveness of our daily routine. I had hoped to have a good update following our latest vet appointment, but I got a call earlier this week saying that Dr. Wearing wouldn't be in the office this week so we needed to reschedule. That was a bummer. I have a dentist appointment Thursday morning, so we will be going in on Friday next week. A 12-week followup seems standard for many, and hopefully it's just another week to solidify bone healing for us.


I had hoped that a good set of xrays would mean some additional activities for Jedi this week, but honestly, I've already gone ahead and increased his freedom about as much as should be allowed. He's doing well with house freedom, although today he scaled the couch and jumped into the dining room while I was in the bathroom, so I guess that's a thing again.... No more leaving him in the living room behind a baby gate. I've let him drag the leash a bit in the agility ring while I'm out there and he's been pretty good about things, and I've also started to tug with him some, which makes him very happy.

Our fun addition to the household is a pet scale! Now I don't have to wait for vet visits to get a weight, which I've been obsessing over during Jedi's recovery. The whole family is going to do regular weigh-ins, and now I can stop guessing at their weights. Jedi was 40.4lbs this morning, which means he's about where he was at for his 7-week vet appointment, and surely he's put on some muscle since then. One of these days I will have to wean him off the morning lickimat routine. I think staying in the 39-40 lb range is where we want to be, but it's hard to judge since he's going to lose muscle mass from being neutered at the same time as his TPLO.

Today's video includes our morning jog along with some walking to show the current level of instability that I'm still seeing. I will do an updated video prior to our vet appointment next week to show the vet, and to see if he feels that it would be appropriate to refer us to a physiotherapist. I also included some of our morning fitness stuff. We've also been doing rear paws up, side paws, and individual paw exercises, but I largely focus on "front paws up" to work on weight-shifting to the rear. (Link for mobile: https://youtu.be/vN_bMoDw9Pc )



No comments:

Post a Comment