Thursday, July 29, 2021

TPLO Day 112 (16 weeks)

 

Sixteen weeks have come and gone since Jedi's TPLO surgery now. We're currently in a holding pattern until our consultation with Dr. Eide. We have our pre-consultation on Monday afternoon to determine the best solution for going forward. Until then, we continue plugging forward with what we're doing. In the morning we do our leashed walk. Jedi and Ren get five laps on their own, which takes about 25 minutes, and then I keep Jedi on leash for the three laps that the old dogs get. That's super fun since the Klee Kai are also on leash, but it does get him up to about 40 minutes of walking in the mornings now.

We have returned to hill work,which is also super fun given that we are at the height of our summertime temperatures right now. We've been going up and down the hill at the side of my parent's house about 4-5 times in the morning, and a couple more times during our evening walk.

We also continue to do our "fitness sessions" for both breakfast and dinner. That's what I will mostly be looking for guidance on from Dr. Eide. There is no rhyme or reason to the exercises we do, but at this point I hope that something is better than nothing.

 
Jedi is otherwise allowed off leash, but I have backed off any additional work the last few days. Earlier this week I was doing circle work, where I ask him to run clockwise through some hoops or wings to force him to actually run on the right lead. Later that day he was really favoring his leg, even holding it up in the air after rising. I haven't even swam him the last two days to give him a break, which Jedi thinks is a terrible travesty. He has seemed more comfortable again today, so maybe tomorrow we can give him his swimming back. The running will probably wait until we have more guidance. I feel like I may as well go ahead and pull him from the upcoming AKC trials, but I am awaiting official word from our consultation. We are not going to be able to qualify for AKC Nationals, so I may as well just remove the pressure and not push to return too early. I am still hopeful for Cynosport in October.

Here is today's video, which I made a bit lengthy in the event that I have to have something to share with Dr. Eide. It is in chronological order, and you can see that it gets worse as the walk goes on. He actually starts out pretty decent these days. (Link for mobile: https://youtu.be/Ge3v-ndTgcA )



No comments:

Post a Comment