Thursday, January 7, 2021

Day 1 of Our New Journey

I'm resurrecting Jedi's blog, but for an unfortunate reason. Jedi had three seizures in <24 hours starting on January 7, 2021. We are now starting a new journey of living a happy and full life with epilepsy. I was advised to start keeping a seizure journal. I started out in a Word doc, so I'm going to transition what I have there to the blog, and then keep the updates here going forward so that it's easier to access from anywhere.

 Thursday, January 7, 2021

Got up @ 7:00, did our usual walk outside (30 degrees). Back in the house @ 7:45. I took a shower and Jedi hung out in the bedroom/closet. Was preparing breakfast around 8:15. Jedi was next to me like usual and I sensed something strange, but thought he was just being snarky towards Kaiser again. I looked down at him and saw that he was hunched over with his head down. Moments later he fell onto his side and his entire body went rigid. Shortly thereafter he began to convulse. This episode lasted 20-30 seconds and included frothing at the mouth and emptying his bladder. When the convulsions stopped it took a couple of minutes for Jedi to become responsive. He was unable to get up because his rear end was not working. When he was able to get up he was walking sideways and having a hard time staying on his feet. He initially went to the patio door, seeming to try to get away from me, and when I tried to call him to the front door he ran to the bedroom to get away from me. Got him outside and he ran to the corner, then back to the front door where he pressed himself against the door and seemed very scared by my presence. After about 30 seconds or so there was a switch flipped behind his eyes and he recognized me again. Returned to normal after that, appetite was normal at breakfast.

5:00 p.m. – Was sitting on the couch with the recliner up. Jedi was laying under the recliner. I heard some thumping and at first thought he was scratching himself, but when I peeked under the recliner I could see he was seizing again. I pulled him out from under the chair. He again frothed at the mouth and lost control of his bladder. This episode seemed a little shorter than the last, maybe 15 seconds? When he stopped convulsing, this time I did not urge him to get up at all and instead just stroked him for about a minute until he stopped bulging his eyes out like he was scared. He again struggled at first to get to his feet, but was much steadier than following the episode this morning. Took him outside again, but he just wanted to come in and get dinner. As for activity leading into this event, we haven’t done anything since we returned from the vet at 3:30 this afternoon. Appetite was normal, ate dinner eagerly.


No comments:

Post a Comment