Monday, August 15, 2016

Vet Clinic Field Trip (27 lbs) and Training Night

I took Jedi up to the vet clinic at lunch time to get an official six-month weight on him. It's so much easier to go borrow their big scale than to try to do it at home. Thankfully we hit the clinic at a quiet time and weren't too much of an inconvenience. Jedi sat on the scale nicely, but I still made him do it twice because I didn't really believe the number in front of me. He was 27 lbs on the nose the first time, and the second time it actually registered 26.9 lbs. I looked up my records on this blog and see that he was 27.3 lbs on our visit 7/27, so that's even more surprising.

My guess is that it stems from the bag of Instinct that I added to the food bin a couple of weeks ago. I think it's a bit too high octane for Jedi (even cut with whatever else was already in the bin, I think it was the fish Canidae Pure) because he's had some runny poo for several days (I've been giving him pumpkin to help). I just started to do 1/2 cup out of the mixed bin and 1/2 cup out of Luke's lamb TOTW bin to bring it down a notch and this appears to have done the trick. I would expect to see his weight start to bump up again. I think he looks great and I'm not worried about where he's at physically, but I definitely wouldn't want him to get any skinnier.

Tonight after work I set up a course to train all of the dogs. I had a Happy Hurdle Day course that I wanted to play on, but I was feeling super lazy and was finding it hard to talk myself into the whole thing. I compromised and set up the bottom half of the course, which really was the entire course minus three obstacles (one being the weaves, so Jedi couldn't do that anyhow). The first section of the course was beyond Jedi's current skill set, so we focused on the close. Jedi did a super job at not going around stuff tonight. It was kind of remarkable, really! The biggest struggle was a slice from the backside to the tunnel. He missed the call through a couple of times and ran straight for the tunnel. He got it right plenty of times, though, and he did every run with gusto. He is so fantastically fun to run. And thank heavens that his sending skills are coming right along because I can't keep up with him!


No comments:

Post a Comment